Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dog: A man’s best friend?

Where did the statement come from? What is meant by a dog or a pet being a friend or being viewed as the closest acquaintance to a human?

My dad had lady so trained that during family time watching the black & white TV in the basement, there were times when we would be watching TV and enjoying ice-cream, and as I can remember it like it was yesterday, Dad would tell lady to go upstairs and get your plate and off Lady would run. And in less than a minute Lady would return, wagging her tale with her plate in her mouth anticipating that something good was getting ready to happen. Even though we knew Lady's skill, each time she would go off and return on demand, we would watch in amazement our dog, our pet, our family member, our friend Lady do her thing.

Lady grew old and past on. And let me tell you, that was like losing a family member. It took a while to recover her being gone. We had other dogs during and after lady; laid, baby, princes, and even when I got married there was my oldest daughter’s favorite named “buttons”. But known had the impact on my life like lady.

Realizing the responsibility of caring for a pet as I observed and in which took part, as an adult I didn’t want to have a dog in the house. Knowing the business of my household and the business travel and school activities, I didn’t want any pets of mine to be cheated out of the care and love it deserved. So I took a stance and claimed that in my house we will not have a pet.

While being the demanding yet loving father that I continue to try to be, I always struggled saying “NO” to my kids, especially my daughters. So when my oldest daughter graduated from college part of our strategic plan was to allow her to move back home, land a good job, TITHE her income (Tithing and giving offering is a must in our family) and save has much as possible before setting sale on the next level of her life journey. Prior to her moving back in my daughter, with her sweet, kind and loving voice asked, “Daddy is it okay if I purchase a puppy to bring home and move in with me?” Within less than a three second mental, emotional rollercoaster ride and thought to myself, “Oh boy, here we go!”, “I am not taking care of a dog!”, “Who’s going to watch the dog when you are not here?” “That dog better not poop on my carpet!” “And what about the barking?” “I am not getting up to let that dog out!” Then out of nowhere I answered, okay dear???

It was during the following week Coco entered into my life. A frail little mutt, needing love and care that had not been loved or taken care of; My daughter walks in and the first thing she does is honor me by bringing Coco over to me while I was lying on the couch watching TV; or sleeping in front of the TV. She places Coco on my lap and says “Coco” this is daddy. Coco was scared at the site of this big, strange man and was shaking something fierce. Immediately I transitioned from all of my previous thoughts and beliefs to and began trying to figure out how I can remove this fear from Coco so that he is comfortable around me.

In just a few months Coco went from shaking at the very presence of me, to always looking for me whenever he comes in the house. You want to talk about what makes you feel good? When I would come home from work or from just being outside working in the yard, my family members may say hello, or hi dad; but Coco would stand up on his hind legs and would greet me as if he was reaching out to give me a hug. Whenever I would head upstairs Coco would run ahead of me and wait at the top of the steps just to greet me once again and collect his scratch behind his ears and pat on his head. Whew! That would make me feel so good inside. That would make me feel appreciated. That alone helps me understand what it means to say a dog can be one of your best friends.

Well my daughter has moved out and is getting married soon. When she comes home to visit and has Coco with her, as soon as Coco comes in the house he immediately starts looking for me. When he finally finds me lying on the couch watching TV or sleep in front of the TV, he takes off running in my direction and jumps up on the couch and we begin playing as if he never left the house.

Through this I have relearned my appreciation for pets. I especially appreciate those who car for pets and even those who have a passion to care for and look for missing pets for families who are sometimes in distress from having lost their animal friend, like my friend Andy Esche at http://www.missingpets.com/

Take a look at my video featuring Coco, one of my best friends. Then think about things in life you appreciate with which you can reconnect and “Go Make it Happen Today! Please rate this video and blog and share your favorite or funny pet story.





No comments:

Post a Comment