Saturday, September 11, 2010

Stop! Time for a maintenance check!

So, I find myself sitting at Performance Toyota where I have dropped my son's car off because it needed to have its brakes checked. When my son first shared this problem with me he told me that when he would try to brake, the car would stop, but the pedal would go all the way to the floor.

When I took a look at it, I gave it a quick look over and discovered quickly that his brake fluid was low. Now I get to look like a hero because I happened to have some brake fluid in my garage. So off I dashed and returned with brake fluid in hand to replenish what had obviously leaked out. We checked the brakes after the reservoir was full and found to pressure to be just fine and brakes working to our satisfaction. While I went through the routine of checking the fluids and replenishing the needed amounts, I made sure my son was watching me, and that he understood how to perform this task to the extent the need would ever arise again.

Sure enough; about three weeks later my son shared again that the brakes were not feeling right again. I asked if it was the same as before and he indicated that the pressure was still there but the pedal went about half way to the floor this time. Without giving it any thought, I asked if he remembered the training I gave him on how to check the fluids and replenish if need be. With confidence he said he did remember and could do the job. And he did.

Three weeks later I am at my son's football game and all was going well. In fact their team won 52 to 21. Unfortunately, during the game my son experienced a leg injury that took him out of the game just before the first half ended and left him missing the rest of the game. Because of that injury, I had to drive his car home. It was then that I discovered that the brake pedal was once again going all the way to the floor. The car did stop okay, but when you have to go to the floor to stop, is not at all a safe condition.

So I thought to myself. Why didn't I take a closer look at this sooner? Why didn't I more seriously evaluate this situation? Why didn't I consider taking my son's car to a shop to let someone with more experience assess the car? The warnings and signs were right in front of me so why didn't I simply stop and take time for a maintenance check.

The night of the football game was a night of many victories for me. Yes the team I pulled for won in a great fashion. And in spite of my son’s misfortune with an injury that had him sidelined for a portion of the game; I received a blessing from that injury. It was that injury that prompted me to have to drive my son’s car home. Had it not been for that injury, I’m not sure when I would have taken a closer look at the car or what might have happened because of my lack of focus.

So as I sit in the shop waiting on the word about my son’s car, the thought came to mind which inspired me to share with you. What are the areas in your life that may require you to take a closer look right now, instead of waiting until later or too late? What behaviors, ways practices or situations do you find yourself in the midst of that may need to be evaluated more seriously? What are the issues or matters in your life that you are trying to work out on your own that may need to be shared with an accountability partner, a pastor or someone that has experience assessing such situations? Why don’t you consider taking a moment? Maybe you should STOP and take time for a maintenance check.

No comments:

Post a Comment